Call for Volunteers – Please pass on to students or other folks you know would be interested in our work!
AFAAD — Adopted and Fostered Adults of the African Diaspora is looking for qualified volunteers to work with our organization. We are looking for two interns who will work collaboratively with the existing board and founding members, as well as the larger community to assist with our annual projects.
About AFAAD: AFAAD is an adoptee and foster care alumni led organization that connects, supports, and advocates for the needs of the African diasporic adoption and foster care community on a global level through community outreach, legislative advocacy, research, and social gatherings.
AFAAD believes that providing connections for and creating space to make visible the adoption and foster community in Black/ African diasporic cultures worldwide will give support to those who otherwise remain isolated in their experiences. Another of AFAAD objectives is to ensure that conversations around adoption in both academia and in populate culture progress in a way that include contributions by adult adoptees. We support those who are conducting cutting-edge research, restructuring child welfare laws and policies, and creating new artwork, performance and films that reflect our unique experiences and perspectives. We place race, culture and connection at the forefront of our stories. We are committed to voicing a powerful message about kinship, family, race, survival, and global black identities.
Volunteer Position Commitment
5 -10 hours a week
July – Nov 2009
Location: Oakland, CA (but MN and ATL positions soon!!)
what we need:
– marketing and communication support (website, twitter, email lists, blog)
– newsletter development and editing
– website development support
– Nov 2009 conference planning
– fund raising campaign support
– someone with their own laptop / portable
– administrative support (mailing, database entry, editing)
what you will get:
– experience with a project from beginning to end
– experience with web marketing and communication
– development of professional relationships with a diverse group of adoptees and foster care alumni
– strong skills in a environment that respects your contributions
– volunteer appreciation lunch or happy hour
please contact Lisa Marie with a resume and brief letter of interest, stating your interest in the project at email@example.com by July 20th, 2009. QLGBT and people of color encouraged to apply.
For more info about our work: